Friday, September 27, 2013

Week 4 Update


Choosing Good Fit Books:
We are continuing to learn how to pick good fit books using the 5 Finger Rule and I PICK model:

P: Purpose – Why do I want to read? (for fun, to learn about a topic etc.)
I: Interest – Do I like the book or find it interesting?
C: Comprehend – Do I understand?
K: Know – Do I know most of the words?

We have been having a blast learning alongside eachother in a variety of ways! One day the students even decided to create their own math song inspired by a rhyming poem we had read about patterns! Over the last few weeks I've realized that we have quite the musical bunch of students in our classroom. Although I'm not a singer by any means, I really enjoy the enthusiasm for learning displayed by this group of students. Lately, we have been learning through music and movement in a way that makes knowing how to pick a good book nearly impossible to forget! Trust me - the students and I can’t get this tune out of our heads! We often sing it as one of our brain breaks. Check it out! 


Poetry:
Students are practicing a poem called “I’m Very Happy to be Me”. The poem is short and sweet, making it easy for students to remember while working on their oral speaking skills.  We have been practicing reading with expression and using loud, clear voices.

I’m Very Happy to be Me!
________ is my hair, 
________is my eyes. 
I’m _________ years old,
 
I’m just the right size.
My name is ___________
And as you can see, 
I’m very happy to be me!

Reading:
We are continuing to work on three of the Daily 5 components read to self, read to someone, and listen to reading every day. This has been the first week where students have had the opportunity to self-select which component they would like to work on during each of the 3 rounds of the Daily 5. Each student has 3 small clips, labeled with their name. Upon entering the classroom each morning, students are expected to clip their 3 choices onto our rotation chart. I’m so proud of how independent our class becoming with each week that passes by. 


Aside from choosing good fit books, we have also introduced a new reading strategy called “Connect to the story”. During story time, our class is naturally eager to make connections with the story and share how it relates to their own lives.  I encourage students to do the same during their reading to activate their background knowledge on a particular topic, increase their understanding of the text and remember what they have read.

Terry Fox Run:
This week our class collected Toonies for Terry and took part in the Terry Fox Run on Friday. We walked towards the Sandra Schmirler Leisure Centre, around the lake, and back to the school to commemorate Terry’s Marathon of Hope. 

Signatures:
Please remember to sign your child’s agenda each night so I know you have received any important notes home or messages. Thank you!

Ms. Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment